Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need Taxi Insurance?

If you plan to drive a vehicle for hire & reward, whether this be private hire, minicab, or public hire, you will need a specific taxi insurance policy. Additional business use on a standard private car policy will not give you the cover that taxi driver insurance does.

Is Taxi Insurance more expensive than regular car insurance?

Usually, yes – taxi insurance cost is generally higher because taxis tend to be on the road more than private cars. Also, you need to be protected for more eventualities which have more potential to involve the public. Potentially, taxis are on the road during peak times and are hired during periods of adverse weather.

What types of taxi vehicles do you insure?

We insure taxis of all kinds, from regular saloon cars or hatchbacks to larger vehicles and minibus taxis. Contact our friendly team to discuss which policy will suit your needs best. 

(Click here for Minibus Insurance provided by our trusted partner Acorn Insurance).

How can I get a quote?

To get a quote, call one of our agents on 01344 452 233 and select option 1. Alternatively, complete our online form and a Flag Insurance agent will call you. We can provide quotes 28 days in advance of the policy start date and all quotes are valid for 14 days.

Can I get immediate cover for driving my taxi?

We offer an extremely efficient service that can get you on the road immediately – you will be in receipt of your documents minutes after finalising your agreement. Call 01344 452 233 now to discuss this with our taxi team.

Am I covered to drive other vehicles if I take out comprehensive insurance?

Our usual Taxi Insurance does not cover this eventuality.

Which policy is best for me?

The selection of policy will ultimately be your decision; however, our friendly team will assist in providing clarity and options available so you can make an informed choice.

What payment options do you offer?

We have flexible finance options as well as multiple policy terms to suit the majority of requirements. Payments can be accepted by card and direct debit.

Do you send policy documents directly to Uber?

Yes – our insurer is an Uber preferred insurer and offers the instadoc service, which means your policy documents will be sent electronically, directly to Uber.

Can other family or friends drive my taxi under my policy?

All Flag Insurance Taxi Insurance policies will cover the specifically named drivers. However, certain licensing authorities have restrictions around this and therefore, guidance from your council should be obtained prior to any request.

Using your taxi abroad?

Provided that your taxi is being used for Social, Domestic, and Pleasure (SDP) use only unless expressly agreed by Haven, you will be provided with the minimum level of cover for your taxi required by law in any country which is a member of the European Union (for a list of countries please refer to your policy booklet).If we have at least 48 hours’ notice, you will also have the option to upgrade your cover to fully Comprehensive (Comp) when abroad for a minimum duration of 7 days and a maximum duration of 31 days. An additional premium of £2.00 per day will be charged plus a £40.00 administration fee.

What is the difference between Private Hire and Public Hire Insurance?

With Private hire or minicab, work can only be on a pre-booked basis and cannot be flagged down on the street or at a taxi rank. Public hire or Hackney carriage vehicles operate within a specific licensed jurisdiction and can pick fares up off the street or at taxi ranks, as agreed with the local council.

Do you insure taxi drivers with no previous experience?
We pride ourselves on considering all potential taxi drivers, so get in touch with our friendly team today to discuss your individual case.
What policy options are available to me?

We have multiple options available in terms of cover levels – Comprehensive; Third Party, Fire & Theft; and Third Party Only.

Do you provide cover for food and parcel delivery?

All our private hire insurance policies automatically provide cover for food and parcel delivery at no additional cost.

Do your policies cover me for personal use?

Yes, all our taxi policies offer social and domestic cover as standard. This will enable you to drive your vehicle for personal use and gives the convenience of one policy covering your personal and professional needs.

Does my No Claims Bonus (NCB) transfer from my regular car policy to my taxi policy?

The No Claims Bonus for your regular car reflects a different scenario and adherence to regulations to that of driving a taxi. Therefore, the NCB for your regular vehicle is unfortunately not transferable to your taxi policy. However, your overall driving experience and other related factors could assist in obtaining a cheaper premium.

What excess will I pay in the event of an accident?
The policy will have a standard compulsory excess, but this may be different depending on the risk information that you have provided at the point of quote. You are also able to include a voluntary excess if you wish.
What is Public Liability Taxi Insurance?

Public liability is additional protection for yourself and your customers. This is included as standard in some of our offerings but can also be purchased as an optional extra. Public liability cover protects you and your business from any unforeseen circumstances involving passengers in your care.

Do I need a DVSA qualification to get cover?

Your requirement for licencing will be specific to your use and operating area. We suggest you seek guidance from your local council to ensure you hold the correct qualification.

I need to send you documents, where do I send them?

Please send all documents and correspondence to We aim to process and respond by COB the following working day.